Thursday, April 24, 2008

Word For The Day ~Cheryl

I read this story & thought it would be a great lesson for us all.

“I had the meanest mother in the world.
While other kids had candy for breakfast, I had to eat my cereal, eggs and toast.
While other kids had cakes and candy for lunch, I had a sandwich.
As you can guess, my supper was different from other kids’ supper too.
My mother was so mean that she insisted on knowing where we were at all times.
You’d think we were in prison or something.
She had to know who our friends were and what we were doing.
I am ashamed to admit this, but my Mother actually had the nerve
to break the child labor laws. She made us work.
We had to wash dishes, make the beds and learn how to cook and clean.
I think my mother must have stayed awake at night
thinking of things for us kids to do.
And, she insisted that we tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
She never let me get away with anything.
By the time we were teenagers, my mother was even wiser
and our life became even more unbearable.
She would embarrass us by insisting that our friends come to the door
instead of tooting the car horn for us to come running.
And she always insisted that we be home early on school nights
and never let us stay out late on weekends like all our other friends.
On Sundays, there was no option except church.
We missed so much fun.
Mother was so mean that she refused to let us date at the mature age of 13 or 14,
like so many of our friends did. Instead, we had to wait until we were 16.
She kept telling us that there was a lot of time –
and that we needed to grow up a bit first.
Mother really raised a bunch of squares.
None of us was arrested for shoplifting or busted for drugs.
Today, I am employed, healthy, and have a relationship with God.
Who do I have to thank for this?
THE MEANEST (AND MOST WONDERFUL) MOTHER IN THE WORLD!”

No comments: